6 thoughts on “My weight today…

• 19th December 2010 at 9:22 pm

Just can't find my flamin form… that said I've been on the turbo two days in a row!

• 2nd January 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hello Peter, I found your blog looking about the internet for a place to buy a bike sturdy enough for a big fella!

Your blog is inspiring stuff.

I've dropped from 30st to 23st in 18 months just through change in diet and walking, now I'm that bit more healthier & confident I'm looking at taking up cycling.

Would you be able to recommend the best places to shop around for bikes sturdy enough?

Thanks,

Andy

• 2nd January 2011 at 7:33 pm

Andrew at that weight I bought a mountain bike to I got down to 17st. I'd go into Halfords and buy a GT. Cheap but strong and up for the task. They also look the part. Talking of Halfords I hear there is good offers on the Boardman range which are a cracking bike but with a higher price tag.

You could also but a cyclocross bike Specialiased do a cracker! They are kind of a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike and built to take a lot of abuse. Leave another message with any question you like the matter how daft you may think it is. 😉

Good luck!

• 2nd January 2011 at 7:53 pm

When I started cycling just short of 21 stone I was also worried about bikes not being able to put up with my weight. I bought the strongest mountain bike I could find but I now realise that was not necessary. Any decent mountain bike (£400+) will be good enough for a >20st person. The main considerations are the forks and wheels. Mountain bike tyres give a good amount of suspension to the wheel and should stop them from buckling under the weight.